In July 2018, DEN began the Great Hall Project – a renovation of the airport’s main Jeppesen Terminal to create an airport for the future with enhanced safety and security, a more intuitive passenger flow and increased capacity to accommodate continued growth.
- DEN was built almost 25 years ago for an anticipated 50 million annual passengers. In 2018, over 64 million passengers traveled through DEN
- DEN is expecting to hit 80 million passengers by 2025 and 110 million passengers by 2040
- When the airport opened in 1995, 60% of the passengers connected through DEN. Today, nearly 65% originate from DEN and only 35% connect and that puts much more stress on the terminal facility than ever anticipated
This project will create a safer, more efficient and modernized Great Hall that serves as a warm welcome to Denver, keeps up with increasing demand, and leaves a lasting impression on all passengers and visitors.
Recent Statement from DEN regarding contract termination:
In 2017, DEN entered into a 34-year contract with Great Hall Partners (GHP) to renovate the terminal and manage defined areas of the terminal after completion of construction. In August 2019, after over a year of construction, DEN is no longer confident that GHP shares the same values of safety, the need to minimize passenger and airline inconvenience or can deliver quality at a fair price. Additionally, project delays affect our partners, like the airlines, and passengers.
GENERAL TIPS FOR NAVIGATING CONSTRUCTION
Please note the following tips to help keep your terminal experience as smooth as possible during construction:
- Check FlyDenver.com before you head to DEN. Delays are expected to be minimal for travelers during the construction, but we encourage you to check for information such as current security wait times and departure flights before you arrive at the airport
- Follow the signs. The terminal will look different from what you may be used to. Make sure to pay attention as you travel through the terminal and use posted signage to help you navigate around construction
- When in doubt, ask for help. Find a friendly DEN Ambassador or customer service agent wearing a blue vest, or any airport employee you see wearing a badge